Mothers fight to change laws – Jaise’s Law
Hannah’sFoundation – Australia’s only Drowning Prevention, Awareness and Support charity says many families are now joining their media campaign to help stop drownings and raise awareness. Kelly Taylor continues to fight for changes in NSW for Jaise’s Law.
changes for Jaise’s law are basic Amendments changes to Legislation, they are:
Residential Tenancies Act 2010
1 That the NSW Parliament introduce a legislative change to Division 5, Section 62 to include Swimming Pools/Spas as an urgent and immediate emergency repair. (Comment: In the circumstance that Landlords/Agents do not fix the pool and council has ordered a non compliance certificate on the property that this action will also give the tenant sufficient grounds under the Act to terminate their lease and without financial penalty.)
2. That the Act be change to include a Swimming Pool Safety Compliance Certificate as a requirement prior to lease to tenant.
3. That the Act include that any exemptions for the Swimming Pool/Spa of the Rental Property be removed for new tenants.
4. That all rental properties have FOUR SIDED FENCING and that all pools/spas be compliant to Australian Standards 1926.1.
5. Specific penalties for non compliance on behalf of agents/landlords.
Swimming Pools Act 1992
1. The removal of self closing doors to form part of barrier,
- the adoption of the Australian Standards 1926.1, IN FULL
- the adoption of legislation mirroring Qld Development Code, Mandatory Provisions 3.4 (comment: In many cases QDC MP3.4 has expanded to provide greater protection than that listed in Australian Standards, example; non climbable zones in the upper 900mm quadrant with provisions that a child cannot gain access. The use of canals/rivers/lakes/streams can form part of barrier)
- that all pools have FOUR SIDED fencing,
- Development of a State wide Pool Register
- Development of a Swimming Pool Safety Inspector training course
- The introduction of a Mandatory inspection regime triggered by sale/lease of properties in the first instance for shared/non shared pools
- Shared pools (accommodation complex, motels, hotels) every 12 months
- Non shared pools, stand alone residential if not sold/lease every two years, Resort pools (swimming pool, management plans) every 12 months.
- Mandatory reporting of immersion events of children
If you support Jaise’s Law in NSW please download a copy of our letter to all Members of Parliament and sign the supporting document and lodge it with your Local NSW State Member of Parliament. The more support we can have for simple changes to legislation the sooner Drowning statistics in NSW will decrease. Rental Properties equate for over 91% of drowning in Rental properties.
Please support Jaise’s Law.
“If these changes were made, we believe, along with Mrs Taylor and all the other parents who have had children drown or suffer immersions in Rental properties that lives could be saved. These little lives lost are people not numbers and something should be done and now.” Katherine Plint, Executive Officer said.
About Hannah’s Foundation
Hannah’s Foundation is the only dedicated drowning support charity supporting all families touched by tragedies in water in Australia.
Among its many aims are:
- educating children about personal water safety;
- designing and implementing a National Rural Swimming Program;
- providing financial assistance to parents who have lost children to drowning or suffer
- providing counselling to family members who have lost loved ones to drowning;
- provide assistance to those who are injured in Water Activities and live with
- lobbying to legislate financial penalties for those who sell non-compliant pools,
including real estate agents;
- raising awareness of drownings and near-drownings in Australia in the media; and
- National Drowning Prevention, Awareness and Memorial Day October every year
For donations to Hannah’s Foundation
Number – 704 052 Account Number – 1035885 or online at www.givenow.com.au/hannahsfoundation
ISSUED at 7th November 2011 by Founding Director Andrew Plint
For comment please phone (07) 5465 2000